It’s difficult to remember the configuration of all your applications while migrating to a different workstation or doing a fresh install or just upgrading. Here’s a crude procedure to migrate settings from one system to another.
- Copy your home directory to an external device. Include hidden files.
- Prepare a list of applications installed:
$ sudo dpkg-get-selection > /home/username/package.selections
- Backup /etc/apt/sources.list
- Complete the new installation
- Copy sources.list from Step 3 to /etc/apt
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo dpkg –set-selections /home/package.selections && apt-get dselect-upgrade
- Copy config files (including .config directory and files within it) of backup home directory from Step 1 in your new home directory.