Bookmarks are important. I feel lost when I am in a different system from where I can’t access my useful bookmarks. My personal favourite is Historious. We also discussed FAVable in an earlier article. Symbaloo will fall in the same category of web services. Features:
- Looks cool with colourful rounded square tiles for pages
- Add widgets to search, check mail, read news feed
- Search and add tiles
- Predefined subject oriented Webmixes or groups of websites
- Organize and group tiles as you like. Drag, drop, add, delete…
Another similar service: Myfav.es
[Courtesy: Jester Raiin]
I depend a lot on bookmarks to access important sites I visit often. However, the bookmarks in my home laptop and office or across different browsers differ or at least were different till now. I use historious as a single repository for all links I find interesting and useful now and then but I can’t keep all of them as bookmarks which I need to access frequently. Today I found a solution to this – FAVable. It has some excellent features available or free:
- Stylish look and feel with thumbnails, weather and twitter integration.
- Import bookmarks from browsers.
- Sort bookmarks by clicks (so that your frequently visited sites are shown first after a few days).
- Firefox only: click on thumbnail to open in mini window, on link to open in new tab. Suit yourself.
- Takes longer to load and run
Just set it as homepage in the browser and your bookmarks are always with you!
Historious showcases an amazing way of saving bookmarks. In most of the bookmarking sites you can save the links and have a static snapshot of the page but that doesn’t help much in the way of finding the exact bookmarked page you want when you are saving bookmarks for years (like me) because you won’t remember the tags or the keywords to search the pages. If you ever faced this situation you already know how frustrating it is to remember that you have the important piece of information but you aren’t able to search it out. The solution to this is historious. It parses the contents of the page you save and hence there’s a much brighter chance of finding the page by search keywords. Tags are supported as well. It literally translates to your personal google search. The free service lets you have upto 2000 bookmarks through promotion. Not a very difficult task. Check it out! Use my share link to get 300 bonus bookmarks when signing up.
Bookmarks are an indispensable part of our web browsing. While bookmarking links in your browser helps, how about organizing them better in an online service which you can access from anywhere? Wonderpage is an excellent place to save, organize and search bookmarks.
I was using Wonderpage for a while and then I found Historious which is a better alternative because it can also index the contents of the bookmarked page.