If LibreOffice is taking longer to load on your box (mine is Ubuntu 12.04), a few settings changes can make it snappier. Open LibreOffice Writer and go to Tools ▸ Options ▸ LibreOffice and try the following changes (I am using version 18.104.22.168):
- General settings: Turn off Tips and Help Agent if you don’t need them.
- Memory settings: Set Number of steps to 15, Use for LibreOffice to 20 MB, Memory per object to 4 MB, Remove from memory after 00:08 minutes, Number of objects to 4. To always keep LibreOffice loaded in memory enable the QuickStarter. I omitted the last step as I don’t use office suites heavily.
- View settings: I just changed Icon size to small and turned off both Anti-aliasing options.
- Accessibility settings: Turn off Automatically detect high contrast mode… if it’s OK for you.
- Java settings: Disable Use Java runtime environment. Works for the version I have. Power users of LibreOffice, please read the comments below before proceeding with this step.
To disable the LibreOffice splash screen completely:
Edit the file
/etc/libreoffice/sofficerc (In stock LibreOffice 4.2
/opt/libreoffice4.2/program/soffice) and change
Second method (the first method is better than this):
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice. In stock LibreOffice 4.2
- Find the following line (might be the last line in the file as well):
exec $VALGRINDCHECK $STRACECHECK "$sd_prog/oosplash" "$@" and change to exec $VALGRINDCHECK $STRACECHECK "$sd_prog/oosplash" "--nologo" "$@"
Additionally I have removed some unnecessary (at least for me) buttons from Writer manually.