Aqualung is under development for years now. However, the first stable version was released recently in Aug 2015. In addition to being a multi-platform software, Aqualung plays quality audio output thanks to it’s LADSPA plugin support.
- Play and rip audio on-the-fly
- AC3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis or CBR/VBR MP3 (gapless via LAME)
- Internet Radio stations streaming MP3 or OGG supported
- OSS, ALSA, Pulseaudio, Jack outputs supported
- Hearing profiles
- LADSPA plugin support (TAP-plugins)
- Playlist support
- System Tray control
- Multi-platform – Linux, Windows, Mac
Though the audio quality is good, we think it’s still not comparable to SMPlayer. However, it’s open to individual perception and we strongly suggest you try out Aqualung.
To install the latest version on Ubuntu, run:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/aqua-tests $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install aqualung