Do you miss the all-powerful terminal on your Android? Or just want to turn it into the ultimate geek’s tool? Termux is a super-cool terminal emulator for Android devices. It looks almost identical to the regular Linux terminal emulators and is definitely a neighbour’s envy, geek’s pride.
Wait, we haven’t even talked about how extensible Termux is and the possibilities. Termux provides a package based framework to install other native Linux cmdline software on Android. It uses the apt package manager. The base emulator is just 125KB at the time of writing.
- Enjoy the bash and zsh shells
- Edit files with nano and vim
- Access servers over ssh
- Compile code with gcc and clang
- Use the python console as a pocket calculator
- Check out projects with git and subversion
- Run text-based games with frotz
- Long-press on the terminal to access help menu
On Google Play: Termux