Nemo is the default file manager for the Cinnamon desktop on Linux Mint. It is a good alternative to the default Nautilus file manager on Ubuntu. However, Nautilus is powered by its plugin-based mechanism, with many extensions available. Nemo, though a fork of Nautilus, didn’t have extensions to begin with. The nemo-extensions project is an effort to port the Nautilus plugins to Nemo.
The following extensions are ported at the time of writing:
- nemo-wallpaper (built in to Nemo)
- nemo-python (python bindings for Nemo)
- nemo-rabbitvcs (forked from rabbitvcs-0.15.3)
- nemo-terminal (forked from nautilus-terminal-1.0.0)
- nemo-gtkhash (forked from gtkhash-0.7.0)
- nemo-filename-repairer (forked from nautilus-filename-repairer-0.0.6)
- nemo-image-converter (forked from nautilus-image-converter-0.3.1)
More extensions are being ported.
The extension packages are hosted in a dedicated PPA. It also hosts an updated version of Nemo with patches for Unity (works with Unity, GNOME Shell, Xfce etc. but not Cinnamon). To add the information of the available packages on Ubuntu, run:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/nemo $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install nemo // example installation of Dropbox extension $ sudo apt-get install nemo-dropbox