xonsh (pronounced conch) is a new shell developed by Anthony Scopatz. xonsh is written in python and is BASH compatible to some extent. The language of xonsh is a superset of python 3.4 with additional shell primitives.
- inline math expression evaluation
- typed environment variables
- tab completion everywhere
- file names an be globbed with regular expressions
- multiline input
- built-in python functionality: import modules, print values, create and use literal data types, such as ints, floats, lists, sets, and dictionaries
- loops, functions and classes
- python-mode and subprocess-mode
- pipes (|), redirection (>, >>) and non-blocking mode (&), file globbing (*)
To install xonsh, run:
$ sudo pip install xonsh
xonsh has a very well-explained tutorial to kickstart with.