Do you forget the password to your Windows box often? Do you re-install it each time that happens? If the answer to the above questions is Yes!, then you should try out chntpw. It is a powerful tool that can help you change or reset your Windows password. The author distributes chntpw as a utility in a distro (named Pogostick) along with other utilities like registry editors.
- Works with any Windows release from NT3.5 to Windows 8.1 including servers
- Works for any local account on your Windows box
- Detects accounts and offers to unlock or reset
- No need to know the old password
- chntpw works on any Linux distro. Present in default Ubuntu repos.
- The author made his own distro (Pogostick). Install on USB. Run offline as any other portable Linux distro.
- Pogostick has registry editing tools for other needs too
- Good walkthrough documentation. Visit it first before proceeding.