I was looking for some tools to crack or remove PDF passwords from an encrypted PDF file today. I googled for sometime and came across some native tools on Ubuntu as well as online websites which can be of help.
To start with, a brief on PDF passwords:
- User password – doesn’t let you view the file.
- Owner password – you can view the file but cannot print, copy contents etc.
The tools and site I found useful are:
- PDFCrack: uses a brute force approach to find the passwords. Quite flexible. Available in the default repos. To install on Ubuntu:
$ sudo apt-get install pdfcrack
- PDFtk: lets you create a decrypted version of the file if you provide the password. Available in synaptic. To install on Ubuntu:
$ sudo apt-get install pdftk
- Witwall – similar functionality as PDFtk, but online. No need to install anything.