If you download YouTube videos often but do not want to install JAVA or any additional browser extensions on your system, try ClipConverter.cc. The online tool takes a bit of time to process and convert the videos (just like any other online site of its kind) but it worth the time. You can select or fine-tune you preferred quality as well. You can also download only the audio stream in preferred quality.
Download video or audio from YouTube streams without having to install a bulky package like JAVA.
- To download only audio from a YouTube video, try YouTube mp3 or VidTomp3 or FullRip
- Use SMTube to avoid the browser as well!
- cclive on Linux
- NomNom: Graphical video streaming and download tool for YouTube and 40+ similar sites.
- ClipGrab: free downloader and converter for YouTube, Vimeo, Metacafe, Dailymotion and many other online video sites.
- mps-youtube (aka mpsyt) can search, stream and download music and video from Youtube. Features:
> Search and play audio/video from YouTube
> Search tracks of albums by album title
> Search and import YouTube playlists
> Create and save local playlists
> Download audio/video
> View video comments
> Works with Python 2.7+ and 3.x
> Works with Windows, Linux and Mac OS X
> Requires mplayer or mpv
- YouTube-DL is a python script that helps you customize and download video from many popular video hosting sites using the cmdline. Along with this, you also find metacafe-dl and nicovideo-dl in synaptic.To see all available formats of a video:
$ youtube-dl -F http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRg1WbFvXqo [youtube] Setting language [youtube] kRg1WbFvXqo: Downloading video webpage [youtube] kRg1WbFvXqo: Downloading video info webpage [youtube] kRg1WbFvXqo: Extracting video information Available formats: 34 : flv [360x640] 18 : mp4 [360x640] 43 : webm [360x640] 5 : flv [240x400] 17 : mp4 [144x176]
To download the webm format listed above:
$ youtube-dl -f 43 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRg1WbFvXqo [youtube] Setting language [youtube] kRg1WbFvXqo: Downloading video webpage [youtube] kRg1WbFvXqo: Downloading video info webpage [youtube] kRg1WbFvXqo: Extracting video information [download] Destination: kRg1WbFvXqo.webm [download] 18.9% of 73.60M at 58.62k/s ETA 17:22
To extract audio from the downloaded file locally check this post which explains how to do that using ffmpeg.
If you want YouTube to play videos using HTML5 change the setting here.