I got the TATA Photon Plus device (EC156) that comes at Rs. 500 with Micromax Funbook today. I could get it working on Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) with the following procedure:
- Connect the device and select Edit Connections… from system tray Network Manager.
- Go to Mobile Broadband tab and click Add.
- The device should be automatically detected in the next window. Otherwise install modemmanager and ppp related software from synaptic, restart and start from step 1.
- Click Continue and select country (India). Continue.
- Select Tata Indiacom (Photon+). Continue.
- In next window check the selections and Apply.
- Edit the newly added connection.
- Go to Mobile Broadband tab. APN should be set already (#777). Set Username: internet, Password: password.
You are ready to roll.
To use the TATA Photon Plus wizard pre-installed on the dongle, check this post.
To setup on Micromax Funbook:
- Connect the dongle using the USB converter cable. Go to Settings.
- Go to More… Turn off Airplane mode.
- Select Mobile networks.
- Set both Data enabled and Data roaming on.
- Select Access Point Names.
- The entry for TATA should be present already. Just tap on the small circle beside the entry to the right side to select it. It should be enabled showing a blue dot.
Open browser and browse. Enjoy!
PS: I am NOT the right person to help you with TATA Photon Plus purchasing. So please don’t post any queries on how to purchase or where to contact here. Call up the Photon Plus helpline.
PPS: Micromax seldom releases updates for their products. So rethink before purchasing their products.